The close of the NFL Scouting Combine and the start of the new league year leaves only a small window for another mock draft prior to the official open of the free agency, so my 2017 NFL Mock Draft 1.5 is a scenario-driven speed round.
These first-round projections are based on my impression of teams needs as of March 9 at high noon and do not reflect any potential trade scenarios. Thank you for reading and enjoy.
1) Cleveland Browns: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2) San Francisco 49ers: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
3) Chicago Bears: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
4) Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
5) Tennessee Titans: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
6) New York Jets: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
7) Los Angeles Chargers: Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
8) Carolina Panthers: John Ross, WR, Washington
9) Cincinnati Bengals: Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
10) Buffalo Bills: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
11) New Orleans Saints: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
12) Cleveland Browns: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
13) Arizona Cardinals: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
14) Philadelphia Eagles: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
15) Indianapolis Colts: Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
16) Baltimore Ravens: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
17) Washington Redskins: Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State
18) Tennesse Titans: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
20) Denver Broncos: OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
21) Detroit Lions: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
22) Miami Dolphins: Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
23) New York Giants: David Njoku, TE, Miami
24) Oakland Raiders: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
25) Houston Texans: Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
26) Seattle Seahawks: Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
27) Kansas City Chiefs: DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson
28) Dallas Cowboys: Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
29) Green Bay Packers: TJ Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
30) Pittsburgh Steelers: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
31) Atlanta Falcons: Budda Baker, S, Washington
32) New England Patriots: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
My Mock Draft Process
This is my fourth consecutive year of scouting players and building mock drafts. This draft season, I started with a pool of 1300+ draft-eligible players, including declared underclassmen, post-season all-star bowl rosters and watch lists, and draftable college seniors. Using online draft resources and personal evaluations of tape, statistics and scouting reports, I pared down the list to compile an initial big board of 400+ prospects. From there, I examined rosters, depth charts, and free agents, along with team-specific draft content to determine and prioritize each team’s needs and identify potential player considerations. As we move through the draft process and offseason activities, I will make adjustments to both as players’ draft stock rises and falls and personnel changes impact team needs.
Last year, I correctly projected seven first-round players to their drafting teams in my final pre-draft mock and my personal big board accounted for 249 of the 253 selections. My ultimate goal this season is improve upon both, correctly projecting as many players as I can to their drafting teams, while accounting for every player drafted with my big board.
Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think in the comments and check back soon for my 2017 NFL Mock Draft 2.0!